Sunday, October 3, 2010

Nocturnal Awakenings

I woke up at 2:35am. My two hour sleep cut short by the power coming back on.
I hadn't turned of the ac so I got up to shut my windows. There was a bird on my windowsill. It wasn't one of the pigeons I fed rice to during the day. It had a
long beak and a head that looked like it could barely carry the beak.


A voice in my head told me to shut the window and go back to bed. I ignored this voice.
I hadn't been sleeping well for the past four months. I had gone nights witout a
Wink of sleep. When sleep finally came, it was barely up to 2 hours.
Three months ago I had googled my symptoms and come up with my disease. Nocturnal
Awakenings. My weak brain took on this bird head on. Curiosity flooded my system
And pumped through my veins.


I put out my right hand, to feel this weird creature. It wasn't supposed to be up at
this time. I felt we were similar, both hit by insomnia. It wouldn't even look at me.
I expected it to fly away from the threat I posed. It attacked.
I saw the blood before I felt the pain. The huge gash in my index finger poured blood.
Something pushed me to try again but I pulled back and looked for something to hold against it.


There was some gin in the fridge downstairs, I walked down the stairs.
I could not wait to return to my new found treasure.
I opened the fridge and reached towards the gin. Something hit me from behind and pushed me into
the fridge. I bumped my head hard but when I turned, there was nothing there.

The bleeding had stopped, so I abandoned the gin and went back upstairs.
As I walked, I heard a foreign noise. Living alone had let me get accustomed to the various
noises my house made. This sounded different, like breathing.
I ran to my room and locked the door. My friend was no longer outside my window.
My windows were open. Had I closed them? During the night, my phone had fallen
under my bed. As I bent to reach it, I heard footsteps just outside my door. There was a knock...

2 comments:

Myne said...

Is this real? You managed to scare me, lol...

Eta Uso Jr said...

I must commend your good poetic writing skills. You held me spell-bound till the end.

Bravo!!!