Saturday, July 12, 2008

Unnoticed beauty

Yesterday i studied a snail. This was all i could do to keep from getting frustrated at the ever late bus. Yet, this snail turned out to be much more than a momentary distraction. I noticed how it moved slowly, almost like it was singing Hakunamatatah. its shell bobbed from side to side as it took each coming step slowly. The snail, as if sensing being watched, stopped and peered around its surroundings. On seeing me, it halted its almost none existent movement. It stared at me as though trying to figure out if i was friend or foe. I smiled at my new friend. This seemed to confirm to the snail that i meant it no harm and it continued its slow but leisurely movement. 'You should take life slow too you know, take in all the beauty around you' it seemed to tell me. I smiled and listened to this point of view. From no where, another pedestrian, taking quick long strides walked past the bus stop. My eyes followed this new comer who seemed to be doing the exact opposite of what the snail preached. I laughed within at the irony. I turned back to my new found friend and he was no more. .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful philosophy. P.s you should have just told me i squished your friend?lol

fishy fish said...

LOL...did the guy kill the snail with his fast strides or which one?

fishy fish said...

evil!!

Ty said...

The snail is an amazing animal,slow but gets to his destination, sometimes faster than the others...Nonso, a month ago i promised i was going to write on your blog and thats wat am doing, cos everytime i go thru it, am always touched by the power of your literature! its Ty...

nonny said...

ty, i'm happy you like what i write. it's nice that i can get people to feel ma on my experiences